Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Volunteer Recruitment

John Milton in the last line of his famous poem, "On His Blindness," wrote:
"He also serves, who only stands and waits."

I have long loved this line. It speaks to the value of every unique and individual person. Our value as people is not in what we do or how much we do or even in how much our contributions costs. Our value as people is about what is in our hearts. A sincere and genuine spirit of willingness is the source from which the greatest values come. With a spirit of willingness the right contribution and the right timing can flow in ways that meet the deepest needs often in the simplest ways. 

Those who patiently stand and wait have their own value that may surprise us when we least expect it. That reminds me of sweet, wonderful Roberta Hughes, who wanted to help "some little way" at our 2008 Burr Family Homecoming. On the very first day of the event, she asked if she could take the fruit back to her hotel room and wash it for me. While this was such an ordinary task, it was one among many that was going to add to the many tasks on my list. Her willing spirit caught my attention and caused her to stand out as a person of extreme value. And I continue to think of her as a wonderful example of where the real value is in people. She blessed me greatly just by her presence, and just seeing her every day for the rest of the event caused me to feel a depth of joy that all was well.

To me John Milton's words mean that every single person regardless of how much he or she contributes, is vitally important if he or she simply cares about our shared focus.

We at Reliving History, Inc. and at the Peter Burr House need your contributions. But measuring the value of those contributions will be quite different from the way the world values contributions. In the next months, we are going to focus on volunteer recruitment. But the question has risen among some as to how family members and friends from a long distance away contribute. Money always helps, but other contributions within each person's abilities are also valuable.

The first thing we need from anyone is that sense of willingness to help. And until the right method for contributing in the most useful way presents itself, each willing spirit is useful if only in standing and waiting. Standing and waiting at its very best implies committed readiness before action.

For many years (all the way back to about age 9) I've believed I was "called" to a special purpose. For years I waited until I became actually discouraged by about age 40. I went through a period of assessing whether or not I was in fact "called." I questioned if this so-called "calling" was instead ego-driven by some deeper desire to be important. I had to go through a process of setting aside my own desires for being valuable in some showy way and to learn to accept a role of just standing and waiting, even at the risk of never being considered valuable.

Today, as I approach the age of 63 (next month), I am aware that I have found my special place. It isn't about being important or about being valued by people who see the world through distorted value systems. It is about being deeply committed and ready to do what needs to be done at the simple place where my ability to contribute matches the need. I did not approach my current role as some aware this is what I was "called" to do, but as one aware that Divine Intervention seemed to me to be all over the task that needed to be done. For me, I had to reach my senior years to actually feel like I'm doing what I was put on earth to do. And it didn't come with planning or vision, but with years of being willing, committed, and ready . . . patiently standing and waiting for the right time and place and service. I had no idea where I was going until after I had gone some distance and looked back. Then I realized I was on a path unaware that it was where I was supposed to be.

I was about 30 years old when I began to seriously pray: "I don't have to know the future or have assurances along the way. I don't even have to see where I'm going. Just WALK me Lord, in such a guided way that though I walk through the dark unknown, my every step will somehow go where you wanted me this day."And strangely years later, I stand and look back and realize my prayer has been answered and continues to be answered. I never knew or would have even guessed that my path would lead me to where I am today.

With all that said, let it be known that I am convinced that something Divine is woven into the objectives before us.
  • I have no idea why God or Divine Intervention preserved the ca. 1751 wooden house that like almost all others should have fallen down years ago. 
  • I have no idea what unseen dynamics moved me from my home in TN to the local area where the Peter Burr House continues to exist. 
  • I don't know what intrinsic value this house of the effort to preserve the house will bring to others in the future. 
  • I'm aware that the old house currently has some serious structural problems that must be resolved. I don't know what all is going to be needed nor how it is going to get fixed, but I have no doubt but that it is going to survive. 
As I look back, I am amazed at how so many things fell into place in the planning for the 2008 Homecoming and how so much has fallen into place in our almost miraculous first year of organization. But as I look back, I know without a doubt that this is the task I was "called" to do over 50 years ago.

There are ways everyone who desires to be of value in this process can do so. But it all starts with the desire, the willingness, the commitment and then it is about standing and waiting. When the right time and task arrives, you may not even know you are being of value. You may not even see your contribution as being of value. But be aware, that which comes from the heart is alive and full of life and value.

No one can begin to imagine how valuable it was over a year ago when a sweet, tiny little, elderly lady genuinely wanted to wash the fruit for me. Her small gesture grew into great value as it symbolically suggests the bathing of our efforts (fruit) in love and nurturing.

Slowly, tasks are emerging that can be done by family members and friends from miles away. This blog is to those who feel a desire to "do something" but who believe they can only "stand and wait." God bless you. If willingness and commitment are behind your heart-felt desires, then "standing and waiting" is only a first step to being ready when the time and task reveals itself.

I love you guys, including those I haven't met yet and even many who are yet to be identified. So far as I can tell, Peter Burr was a man of deep faith and personal commitment to his God.

Joyce Cole, Founder
Reliving History, Inc. and
The Peter Burr Society

No comments:

Post a Comment